Saturday 18 September 2010

Going it alone ... the big decision

I am 43 years old, a professional career woman who has lived in London for almost 20 years now.  I have an amazing job, I have my own flat, I have a lovely circle of friends - I have it all really - everything - except a family. 
What can I say – I’ve had a series of fairly disastrous relationships – right men, wrong time - wrong men, right time – you know the story.  After my last relationship ended I finally decided I just wasn’t going to meet the man good enough to be the father of my children, or rather – I wasn’t going to meet him in time to actually HAVE children.   I thought I was fine with that but then last year I realised that I’d been wanting a family for well over ten years - and time was running out.  I was facing the very real possibility that I might never have children.  What I also realised was that the desire to have a family and the pressure of time - was beginning to take over my usual rational ability to assess the men I was meeting and I was starting to look seriously at people I knew were completely wrong for me.
One night, whilst lamenting this dilemma over drinks, a girlfriend said to me “If I really wanted to have a child – nothing would hold me back”.  It made perfect sense when you put it like that - I decided that night that I would stop looking for Mr. Right and just go it alone.   Then if Mr. Right did come along at some time – it would be for the right reasons.
So here I am … embarking on the scariest and most exciting decision of my life …

No comments:

Post a Comment